Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Culture Shock

It is an understatement to say that things are a bit different in Scotland than they are at home! But here are a few of the oddities that I have observed…

  1. The obvious – they drive on the wrong side of the street.

  2. Traffic lights flash yellow before turning green – kind of a “go ahead and rev your engine, I’m about to change” signal.

  3. Stores in town close at 5:00 every night, even weeknights! Even the malls and Starbucks close that early! I guess it's because everyone goes to the pubs at night, so the stores don't need to stay open.

  4. You have to flip a switch in order to turn on electrical outlets – all of them! I have plugged things in a few times and wondered why they wouldn’t come on.

  5. At some flats, you have to flip a switch to turn on the water heater about 30 minutes before you want a shower.

  6. Almost everyone smokes here. I don't know if it's their way of keeping warm, or what, but the smell of smoke is everywhere, at least outside. Thankfully they have a law banning smoking in public buildings.

  7. Band-Aids are called “fabric plasters.” What’s that about? And in case you want to know how I had to find that out, on my first 4-mile walk to the University, I wore my socks out and had blisters on the bottom of the heals. Ouch!

These are just a few of the differences I have found. I'm sure I will encounter many more as the days go on. Their words are also quite odd at times. For instance, french fries are called "chips" and chips are called "crisps." Also, pants are called "trousers." If you say "pants," you are referring to underpants! Better watch that one!

Lastly, I'm going to attach a photo of a funny pub I saw the other day. I just liked the name - "The Illicit Still." Hope you all had fun enjoying a bit of culture shock with me.


1 comment:

Kristen said...

Did I send you the link to the YouTube video of Ellen talking to the elderly woman in Austin who says, "Honey, I love Jesus, but I like to drink a little!" ???