Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Back to Banchory

This past weekend I went back out to Banchory to hang out with Laurie. I was very thankful that she invited me out, since other plans fell through. I got out there around noon on Saturday, and we promptly headed to Finzean (pronounced "fingen") to meet another friend, Carolyn, whose son was playing rugby in the area. We had lunch at the Finzean tearoom, a cute little place with good food and fun atmosphere, and then took a short walk to a huge burial cairn that supposedly dates to the time of Abram.
After leaving Carolyn and her family, Laurie and I took another walk out in Birse. The countryside was gorgeous, and the path was bordered on both sides by fields with cattle, sheep, and horses. Laurie convinced me that I should stay the night out in Banchory since I didn't have to worry about chapel choir the next day. I didn't have ANYTHING with me - no toothbrush, pajamas, clean clothes, NOTHING! But I stayed anyway. That night we watched Local Hero, a 1980s movie that was filmed in Pennan, a coastal fishing village that we visited while my family was here. We also walked into town for icecream, crossing the river and seeing the highland cattle up close and personal. Actually, I thought I was going to see one of them much closer than I wanted! I stepped up on a tree to get a closer picture of the babies, and the mama started charging over at me to protect her babies! Kind of startled me, but I still got the picture.
On Sunday after worship, we hiked up Scolty hill again (we did this the day after Easter also), taking in the scenery and pausing at the top for a picnic lunch.
It was a gorgeous weekend, beautiful sunshine, and even warm when the wind wasn't gusting. And it was great to get out to the country again, to hang out with Laurie and enjoy the setting. I think some of my favorite times in Scotland have been when I've gotten out of the dull grey of the "granite city" and explored the rich Scottish countryside. I'm going to miss those opportunities when I get back to the States - there's certainly nothing like the highlands in Texas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the new look of your blog. Trips to spend time with friends are the best, plus God’s country always rejuvenates me. Watch out for those protective Mom’s though, they will even charge through a fence if you get too close.