Sunday, March 25, 2007

Day 2 - Campus Tour

We started today off a little bit lazily. Okay - we were a lot lazy. Dad and I woke up around 9:15, and immediately called the airline to find out when the bags would be delivered - sometime between 11:00 and 1:00. Mom and Papa got up around 10:00, and Ben slept till 11! At around 12:30 the bags were delivered, finally! Everyone was so glad to have clean clothes.

After lunch, we finally left the apartment around 2:00, walked down to Union Street and caught the bus to the University of Aberdeen campus. I was glad to finally be able to show them Kings College, and I even got to take everyone up to my office to show them where I spend most of my days. I think they really enjoyed seeing the campus.



We also walked over to St. Machar's Cathedral, the oldest cathedral in Aberdeen, then rode the double-decker bus up to my own flat so I could show them my "hole in the wall." Mom's words when she saw my room were "my poor daughter!" It's not all that bad, but I will say this - my new two-bedroom apartment in Ft. Worth will feel like the lap of luxury when I get back! Here's a picture of all four of them in my tiny bedroom, one on the top deck of the bus, and a new one of St. Machar's (see my old post for lots of pictures of this cathedral, inside and out).




Finally, we ate dinner at a pub called The Illicit Still. It's got great atmosphere, and is really neat inside, but the food was only so-so. Oh well - now we can say we've eaten at a pub. We even watched a rugby match on TV while we were eating. A very Scottish experience...
One other thing - European Daylight Savings was last night, so it doesn't get light quite so early in the mornings, and it stays light much later in the evenings. It was still light when we finished walking home at 7:30 tonight (late night out, I know!). I think I'm going to like Daylight Savings here. Though from what I've heard, in the late spring and summer it stays light until around 2:00 am, so that might get a little old!

Well, tomorrow we're picking up the rental car and taking in some of the Castle Trail. I'm sure I'll have a lot of pics to post tomorrow night. For now, I think we're all about done in - they're still jet-lagging, and I don't know what my excuse is!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad your family (and their luggage) are safely in Scotland. I know you will enjoy every minute. Can't wait to see all the new pics you'll be sharing. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Everyone looks like they are having a great time. Some even look tired. Don't wear them out too soon. Wish I was there. Love to all,