Friday, March 09, 2007

United Nations UNO Tournament

In our flat we have our own version of the United Nations. We have Emma (Isle of Man), Eileen (Ireland), Judie (Scotland), Anna (England), June (China), and me (America - or Texas, as the others sometimes call me). Shortly after I moved in, Judie broke out the UNO cards, and the United Nations UNO Tournament was born. Almost every night at least 3 of us gather at the kitchen table for a couple of highly competitive rounds of UNO before bedtime. It brings back so many good memories from childhood, playing UNO with Aunt Alice, Granny, Nana, and the cousins, and it makes me laugh that we are so serious about this game now.
When we started out, I did America proud. I was in the lead for almost 2 weeks. Unfortunately, Scotland has now overtaken America, and I am desperately trying to play catch-up. I'm gaining on her though! Time is running low, I'm afraid, and Scotland is pulling out of the UN headquarters on Tuesday to move home for her last couple of student-teaching placements. It's too bad. I imagine the UNO tournament will continue in her absence though, as long as we can find another deck of cards.

Here are a couple of pictures of our tournament:

England in deep concentration planning her next move


Scotland in high spirits after a big win

Illegal consulations between the Irish contingencies (the head Ireland representative and a guest)


Friendly interactions among the various representatives (we are the UNITED nations, after all!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fun time. Good to see you enjoying downtime with new friends. Go Texas!!!

Anonymous said...

I am sure your UNO UN could answer some of the worlds pressing issues while having fun. Good to see you are enjoying your flat mates. Looks like a great bunch of ladies. Love you,