Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Reaping

I know, I haven't had much interesting to blog about lately. But yesterday my friend Amie and I went to see the movie The Reaping. In it these Exodus-type plagues starting taking place in a small village in Louisiana, and a skeptic is called in to find out what is causing them. Well, since I'm in the midst of writing a paper about the Exodus-plague imagery in Revelation, I counted it as research time. Okay, not really, but still, it was quite timely. Anyway, this movie was extremely creapy. I had a death-grip on the arm rest the entire time, and kept saying "don't open the door," "don't go in there," etc. Of course, they never listened to me! (I don't like scary movies!) So I found it interesting how they portrayed the Exodus plagues. They certainly took some liberties. For instance, a lot of the plagues affected only certain characters, and the boils and locusts actually killed, which doesn't take place in Exodus. Also, they combined the plague of hail and fire with the plague of darkness, and switched the order. Of course, my mind is so steeped in the plague imagery right now that I was thinking, "That's not right! Darkness doesn't come yet!" Well, I don't think they were trying to be biblically accurate. And to their credit, they're not the first to take liberties with the plagues. John certainly does in Revelation, and the author of Wisdom of Solomon does too. Of course, these movie writers are not divinely inspired, either. Anyway, it was certainly a movie to make you think, and if you like scary movies, then I would recommend it. It was quite suspenseful, that's for sure. If , however, you're like me, I would suggest staying away from The Reaping, especially at night. It might cause a few nightmares!

By the way, I hope to go to a castle this weekend, so look for a more typical post with pictures sometime soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to have to pass on this movie. Glad you're enjoying lots of different things.

Anonymous said...

We will wait until it comes out on DVD. I am glad to know it was good even though it did not follow the facts just perfectly. I am so glad you a mixing pleasure with work.
Love you,