Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Summary of Family Vacation in Scotland

I plan to do posts for each of the days that my family was here in Scotland, because I have SO many good pictures and adventures that I want to share with everyone. But I thought I'd first give a little summary of their trip.

We had great weather the whole time they were here. Mom had said beforehand that she was praying for no rain, but I was very doubtful that we could go 2 full weeks in Scotland and England without any rain. Well, we had a couple of dark and windy days, and it was wicked cold the first two days in London (notice the hot drinks in our hands in the first picture below), but the most rain we got was a light mist in London while we were walking to St. Paul's Cathedral. Some of the days were so warm we even had to take off our jackets! I was quite amazed that the weather held like that. Of course, when I got back to Aberdeen, I got rained on as I was dragging my suitcase back to the flat. Oh well - vacation's over!


Dad did a great job of driving on the wrong side of the street. He only reverted to American driving one time, and that was in the countryside where there were no other cars around. But he caught his mistake very quickly, with no incidents. He caught on well to the MANY roundabouts, and was soon driving like a pro, though navigational errors (that would be me!) caused quite a few u-turns and detours, especially once we got close to London. We did turn the car in right after we got to London, though, because London driving is insane! We relied on the bus and Underground to get around that city.


We got to see SO much of Scotland and London, so many places that I wouldn't have had access to without a car (and I'm not about to rent a car and drive here - SCARY!). We saw tons of castles, most of which were ruins, and by the time we left Scotland Papa said "If I never see another pile of rocks again..." We drove up the coast and saw a lot of the picturesque coastal fishing villages, took a day trip to Loch Ness (though Nessie failed to come out to get her picture taken), visited the Old Golf Course in St. Andrews (which was by far Papa's favorite part of the trip), spent time in Edinburgh and Stirling, stood in awe at the beauty of the York Cathedral, and spent three days seeing the major sights of London, including a ride on the Eye of London, the Millennium Wheel. So cool!


Mom and Dad agreed that their favorite part was driving through the countryside of Scotland (which we did a LOT of on our way to various places). As I said, Papa mostly enjoyed the St. Andrews golf course, though he had a good time exploring the ruins and cliffs at Slain's Castle as well. I'm not sure what Ben's favorite part was. I admit I am partial to the city experiences - I absolutely LOVE London - but my favorite place was probably Loch Ness and Urquhart Castle on its bank. It was absolutely GORGEOUS, the castle was so much fun to explore, and it was so exciting to actually be at Loch Ness. Amazing!

So, I'll share more details of our daily adventures in upcoming posts, but that's a good summary of my family's two-weeks in the UK.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am right there with ya girl, I LOVE London as well. Looking forward to more pictures!!