Sunday, July 15, 2007

Highlands and Islands, Day 4 - Skye

Happy Fourth of July! We spent the morning driving around Skye listening to patriotic music from our ipods. It was a rather odd experience being in Scotland and singing along to America the Beautiful, but that's okay. Amie and I even dressed in red, white, and blue to celebrate the day.Our first stop was the Neist Point Lighthouse, which provided a challenge because we had to hike up and down some major hills in order to reach it. I didn't think I was going to make it back up the last hill to the car park! My ankle was holding up pretty well, but this walk stressed it out quite a bit. It was worth it though - the view of the cliffs from the lighthouse was impressive. We had a picnic lunch on the cliffs and then headed back to the car.


After more driving, we arrived at Dunvegan Castle, which Amie and I toured while Laurie visited some art galleries (she had already seen the castle on a previous trip). Because the castle was not a ruin, Amie and I weren't all that impressed. But the gardens were beautiful. They have a cascading waterfall and some very unusual flowers. We spent a bit of time relaxing in the sun by the waterfall and photographing flowers before we had to leave.
Continuing on, we stopped in several more art galleries before making it to our hostel in Uig, up on the north part of Skye. This was our least favorite hostel, but they can't all be great, I suppose. At least we had phenomenal views! After fixing dinner in the kitchen, we decided to go to the hotel down the road for dessert. Well, Amie and Laurie had dessert (sticky toffee pudding and chocolate cheesecake). I had a craving for chips (fries), so that was my dessert! Boy, were they good!

No comments: