Sunday, July 15, 2007

Highlands and Islands - Counting Sheep

On our tour of the highlands and islands we saw sheep EVERYWHERE!! They would lie in the passing places on the narrow roads, or simply walk down the middle of the road like they owned the place!

There were fat sheep and skinny sheep, old sheep and baby lambs, white sheep and black sheep, sleeping sheep and playing sheep. There were speckled sheep and horny - I mean horned - sheep. Okay, that's a joke, I said "horny" instead of horned the first time I saw one with horns, and it just stuck. Oh well.

But my favorites were the “tame” sheep. While we were walking to the youth hostel on Iona, we saw a bunch of sheep in the middle of the road. I told Amie that I wanted to try to pet one, so she had her camera ready. The first few sheep ran away as we approached, but one stayed in the road without being fazed. So I reached out my hand and petted his head. He just looked at me. Then another sheep started heading over towards me like, “Hey, what about me? I want my head scratched too!” So I petted him too. When we started walking away, the first one followed us for a bit. It was like “Mary had a little lamb”! Too cool!

2 comments:

Genny said...

Abigail will have to see this post. She will be most jealous. Very fun.

ann said...

Well, you finally got to pet the sheep. Took long enough.
Mom