Sunday, February 18, 2007

Coastal Exploration

Yesterday my flatmate Anna and I took a little drive up the coast to the wee village of Cruden Bay (like that? I'm getting a little Scotland in my vocabulary!). The weather was gorgeous - blue skies, not too cold unless the wind was blowing - and it was the perfect day to be outdoors. We got to Cruden Bay around lunchtime (it's only about a 20 minute drive from Aberdeen), and explored the white sandy beach and the bay area before giving in and eating lunch in the car because the wind was so wicked right on the water. You could literally see the wind blowing the water off the tops of the waves - amazing!


After lunch we took a little stroll up the coastal trail to Slain's Castle (the walk wasn't long, but it was quite muddy - my new tennis shoes will likely never be the same!). Now the castle lies in ruins, without even a roof, but in its heyday the castle and the cliffs on which it is located inspired Bram Stoker to write Dracula. I'm sure the castle must have been amazing in its day, because even the ruins were impressive. From a distance the ruins look like children's building blocks, but up close it is quite imposing. It is set right on these awesome rocky cliffs looking straight down into the churning water.



From Slain's Castle we drove a few miles up the road to the Bullers of Buchan, a 200 foot sea chasm (known as The Pot) where the ocean rushes in through a natural stone archway and churns as it swirls in the pool. If we thought the cliffs at Slain's Castle were impressive, they were nothing compared to this. There was a little grass walkway over the top of the stone archway - probably only 2 feet wide - with water and cliffs on either side. So cool! The photos don't even begin to do it justice!



These three attractions were intriguing, to say the least, but the drive along the coast and through the countryside was equally enjoyable. We even saw several sheep on the side of the roads (the sheep pictures are for you, Abigail!). We drove back a different direction, so I got to see some of the little inner-Scotland villages as we drove along the winding, hilly roads. I actually got a little carsick at one point, which has never happened to me before, but it was worth it for a full day of exploring Scotland's coast and countryside. It just increased my appetite to get out there and see more!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous! But most of all I am thankful you have the opportunity to enjoy, explore and share Scotland. Your photos show how great your day was. Wish I could have been there, thanks so much for sharing. Love you,

Anonymous said...

It's just like I imagined -- better! Wish I were there to explore with you. Everything is so majestic. I wonder how many albums it will take to scrapbook all of these beautiful photos? Abigail thanks you for the pics of the sheep. Have you found one wearing a kilt yet? (hee,hee) Thanks for allowing us to tour Scotland with you.

Bartley Family said...

Great pics!! Keep exploring! I love the beach pic with the footprints in the sand and the water crashing with the wind skimming the top....good shot. All is well here - staying busy.

Kristen said...

Very cool!

Point of Grace said...

Amazing Barb! I too loved the foot prints in the sand...need I say more as you continue your journey. So glad you had such a wonderful day. The majesty and glory of it all.

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Because of your beautiful photos (you really have a talent!) Scotland is definitely on my list of places to visit. What history. You must feel like you're in another world. What a great opportunity for you, you are truly blessed. Glad that your lodging situation worked out so well and you have a friend to explore with. the info. on Slain's castle was very interesting to Brian and me..we love scary stories about Dracula and it was neat to see the castle that inspired it all. Keep the photos coming and be careful driving on those windy, curving roads! Sandy, Brian and I all send our love, Sue