Friday, February 09, 2007

Housing and General Update

Well, I moved into my new flat on Wednesday. It is so much better! It is cleaner, quieter, and my flatmates and I actually have things in common (most are right around the same age as me). I live with 5 other girls, 4 of whom are from the UK and studying education (two primary, two secondary). Eileen is Catholic and from Ireland - maybe I'll go to mass with her one sunday. Judie is from somewhere in Scotland, and when I was moving in she was singing "I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart!" Talk about making me feel at home! She's really sweet, and we've talked about journeying down to Edinburgh one day, or doing some sightseeing around here. I haven't really gotten to know Emma or Anna much yet, but they seem nice. Emma, Eileen and I are having "takeaway" (delivery) tonight for dinner and then watching dvd's. Should be a rather relaxing evening. I'm glad for the opportunity to get to know them. The other girl in our flat is June - she's from China and is here in a similar capacity to myself, studying here for only 6 months. She's rather talkative, which was a little surprising to me, but in a good way. Anyway, I'm happy to say that this has been a good move, and hopefully it will make me feel more at home here. Here's a picture of my apartment complex the other morning, when I woke to snow on the ground.



I've also been busy meeting other people. Last night the divinity postgrad women had dinner together - there was a lot of eating, talking, wine, and laughing. I think there were 7 or 8 of us. I was probably the youngest person there, but there were two other single women close to my age, both from the States. Hopefully we'll become good friends.

As for academics (the real reason I'm here, if you would believe it), after a brief divergence this week into Greek translation of Eusebius, I decided to put the Greek aside and focus more on my own research. The Greek was taking too much of my time away from my own topic, and so I have made my way back into the text of Revelation (in Greek) and feel much more at home. I am sure this time of research will be fruitful, as long as I can stay off the internet and away from email long enough to get anything done! Speaking of which, I ought to get back to it. I have done a bit more sightseeing within Old Aberdeen this week, so look for a post in the next day or so about the University of Aberdeen and St. Machar's Cathedral (complete with a lot of pictures!).

Until then, God bless you all...

2 comments:

dashadra said...

Yay! I am very glad that you have new friends. Now get back to studying!! Just Kidding...have lots of fun and stay warm!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you. I am sure you are thinking, 'now this is the way it was suppose to be.' Now you can study and play better. Love you,