Tuesday, June 05, 2007

King's College Chapel Choir

I have been privileged to be a part of the King's College Chapel Choir during my time at the University of Aberdeen. I joined back in February, when I found out that one of my flatmates (Anna) sang with them and I got the information from her. It has been great fun to return to the classical style of singing that I learned in my undergrad - I haven't done this type of singing since my year in Southwestern Singers (1999-2000)! While I love the contemporary music that I get to sing in the Wedgwood choir, sometimes it is nice to return to your roots. This term in chapel we sang a couple of Mozart pieces, including Ave Verum Corpus, several Tudor anthems by Byrd and others, and several other pieces. I think my favorite was The Lord Is My Shepherd (the theme from The Vicar of Dibley), which I might try with my children's choir next year. We also had an evening concert in which we gave the first public performance in Scotland of a new edition of Vivaldi's Gloria, arranged by a music professor from Aberdeen. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in chapel choir - it has been nice to feel a part of a group here, and to get to know a wider range of people. I don't think I'll miss chapel itself, though - I can't wait to get back to Wedgwood, where I actually feel the Spirit and an atmosphere of worship, and know the songs we're singing (I rarely know the hymns here - if I know the tune, the words are wrong; if I know the words, the tune is different!). I must say, though, it has been nice wearing robes and using music again, even if only temporarily...

Here are a few pictures of chapel choir. These were taken by one of the campus photographers. I have tried twice to scan them, but it didn't work, so I just took a photo of the print, and here you are (that's why the quality is not great).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not sure you will ever know how proud we all are of you for all you are accomplishing during this trip. You are a special women so do not ever forget that!
Lots of Love,