Monday, June 04, 2007

St. Andrews

On Sunday after chapel, my flatmate Anna and I drove down to St. Andrews. Anna spent four years at the University of St. Andrews, so it was nice to be shown around the town and campus by someone who knows and loves it (Anna is constantly comparing Aberdeen to St. Andrews, and Aberdeen always loses!).

We first stopped by the famous St. Andrews Old Course (golf course) for a little shopping - I had to pick up a hat for Papa. Right behind the golf course is the Chariots of Fire beach.
We headed into town and ate Tesco sandwiches in the quadrangle in front of St. Sally's (Salvator's) chapel. I must say, our chapel with its crown is much prettier, at least on the outside. We didn't get to go inside St. Sally's, so I don't know whether it's nicer or not.Anna also took me to St. Salvator's hall, the residence hall where she and Prince William lived (at the same time, but not together), and the divinity building.
On our way back to Aberdeen, we took a short detour to Glamis Castle, one of the Queen Mother's residences. By this time the rain was falling again and the fog was insanely thick, so it was hard to see much and we didn't spend any more time there than it took for me to get out of the car and take a couple of pictures. But it was still good to add another castle to my list. And the grounds were so plush and green - beautiful!

No comments: